Friday, March 18, 2011

Week 2 Wimba - Copyright

I like the way YouTube/Google has approached copyright law and the ease of access to give the copyright holder the choice to turn the situation to their advantage. Rather than being the "bad guys" and deterring fans from following/purchasing an artist's works, they can have the opportunity to make money and possibly increase their fan base. There is a lot of potential for artists to partner with their fans to increase their popularity. It almost makes the interest seem more legitimate to me - someone hears a song or sees a piece of art as part of someone's project and purchases it for themselves. At that point, it's no longer just about a creative/effective marketing gimmick but more likely real interest.


After this week, I have such a better idea of how copyright and especially fair use works. On the other hand, I cringe every time I hear my fellow teachers talk about materials they're using in their classes that they found in "some" book or website. And they want to stay ignorant - one teacher specifically told me not to tell her how it really works so she can stay ignorant.
I never thought about fair use hinging on it's necessity to the lesson. Thanks for making it so clear - there are many times I just thought to add media because it could help the students engage better or it added to the overall presentation of the material.

No comments:

Post a Comment